Microsoft has integrated Skype into Outlook.com. Currently the preview version has been rolled out and it is made available in United Kingdom only. In the coming weeks it will be made available in United States and Germany. Microsoft has announced this integration in its Skype blog.
Microsoft also announced that in coming months the audio and video calling powered by Skype will be made available in every Outlook.com inbox. Which means that in coming months everyone can enjoy the video and audio calling services directly from outlook.com inbox.
With preview version of Skype for Outlook.com
- Users can enjoy the video and audio calls powered by skype right from outlook.com inbox.
- Users can choose the right medium for your message, whether it is an email, call, video call or instant message (IM).
- Connect with skype and messenger friends at one place.
- To make audio or video calls, just click on the audio or video call buttons in an IM conversation.
- To make audio or video calls while reading email on Outlook.com, user just have to move mouse over the friend’s picture and click the Skype audio or video call buttons appearing above the user’s friend’s contact details.
- This feature requires users to download a plugin for browser (plugin is available for recent versions of Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox).
- After plugin installation connect Skype to Outlook.com using Microsoft account.
- Existing users having Skype account will be asked to link Skype and Outlook.com in few steps. This will add Skype contacts into Outlook.com.
For more detailed instruction follow the Outlook Blog and also watch the video above.
For those of you who don’t know about outlook.com, let me tell you that Outlook.com is a free personal email service from Microsoft.